ports blocked by ISP

sweet19

Hello, I am looking for some solutions when my ISP blocks port forwarding, I want to set up an apache web server using NO-IP. First I opened ports 80 and 443 on my router, I enabled inbound firewall rules, when I check, the ports are blocked. Try another 8251 port, and the same thing happens. Yes or yes do I need to call the ISP or can I bypass it in another way?

Thanks!

You need to run a reverse proxy through some sort of tunnel that's connected to by the web server in your home network. At least that's how I do it through CGNAT and it works well. I even managed to get a OpenVPN to run through the tunnel giving me the residential IP address remotely.

If you just want a web server then ngrok probably works plenty well enough for you and does all the hard work for you.

I personally used nginx tcp forwarding and tinc but it's an involved configuration.

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts spring to mind, both relatively easy and free:

1. Tailscale

Tailscale is a mesh-vpn-private-network solution that uses wireguard under the hood.  You could have a VPS, run Tailscale on both hosts, and then port forward / reverse-proxy from the VPS to your residential box... Not sure why you wouldn't just run HTTPD on the VPS in that case though..

2. Cloudflare Zero Trust

Install cloudflared on your server, and configure their zero trust service to publish your web content to the internet through Cloudflares CDN.  No port opening or firewall changes needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gnugro said:

A Digitalocean droplet ($4/month) or Datapacket.net VPS ($4.99) would be a good option.  If you are sharing something for developing, ngrok has a service with a free tier (https://ngrok.com/).

Aww yeah, I was trying to remember ngrok when I wrote my post yesterday 😄 free tier, easy enough to use 😄 don't expose anything that's going to get pwn'd!

• Like 1