Steamdeck

stollenvalor

Anyone else get a Steam Deck?  I have the 64GB model and it's been excellent while on the road.  I haven't done anything crazy with it besides changing out the start up video.  

• Like 1

What's it like, hardware-wise? Roughly equivalent to PS3, PS4, Switch...? I've been thinking of getting it so I don't have to lug my desktop downstairs if I want to play with friends on the big TV.

15 hours ago, garandou said:

What's it like, hardware-wise? Roughly equivalent to PS3, PS4, Switch...? I've been thinking of getting it so I don't have to lug my desktop downstairs if I want to play with friends on the big TV.

It is actually really good. Hardware wise it is really simular to the ps4. even got more ram. But the APU is a real beat. GPU is minimal slower in TFLOPS. You can definitely use it for multiplayer if you have 2 Controllers. The USB-C to HDMI works like a glove. 

41 minutes ago, Chauke said:

It is actually really good. Hardware wise it is really simular to the ps4. even got more ram. But the APU is a real beat. GPU is minimal slower in TFLOPS. You can definitely use it for multiplayer if you have 2 Controllers. The USB-C to HDMI works like a glove. 

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely pick up one of the models with more storage, then. 😄

• Like 1

I canceled my reservation because I just don't really need another gaming platform right now.  I am considering it, though, at some point, for play on my living room big screen.  I've sworn off another 'big' console because 100% of my gaming has been on the PC for 3 or 4 years now, and the PS4 is in a box gathering dust somewhere.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:14 AM, Jimmy said:

Would anyone recommend getting the Steam Deck? I've been on the fence about it for a while. 

I would, mainly because I like the fact I can game on the go or just pick up and play in short bursts.  If you add Xbox Gamepass + RetroArch I'd say you're pretty set.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Jimmy said:

Would anyone recommend getting the Steam Deck? I've been on the fence about it for a while. 

I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but the value for the money is pretty on point.  I'm shocked at how good the performance is just running off an SD card.  I'm trying to find a slimmer case for it to fit my bag and not drop $80 on the Dbrand one.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 1:14 AM, Jimmy said:

Since I got mine i played a decent amount. I got the 512GB one and am extremely happy with it. Usually when I sit down at my desktop, I play some dota or Apex/Valorant/CoD with friends. With the Deck, I've started to tackled my pile of shame and went through Shadow Tactics, XIII, Horizon Zero Dawn and some more. I also got way more interested in cool single player games... So Valve got me again on spending more money 😄

The real question is, if you want to play on the go or not. If you don't - I'd skip it. If you do though, it's imho the best handheld console money can buy right now. 

• Like 1