How do you set up grandma's computer?

Boccraft

Maybe some of you have been in this situation before, then you know what I'm talking about: (older) relatives have come into possession of a new computer and the glorious task of setting it up has fallen to you. What are the security measures you take in such situations, especially when you know that a) the persons themselves are not very computer-savvy and b) you very rarely have access to the computer and c) they might want to install programs etc. on their own?  

I once activated "NoScript" in the browser of a family member who wanted to have a little more internet privacy and security. It was a nightmare...😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boccraft said:

Maybe some of you have been in this situation before, then you know what I'm talking about: (older) relatives have come into possession of a new computer and the glorious task of setting it up has fallen to you. What are the security measures you take in such situations, especially when you know that a) the persons themselves are not very computer-savvy and b) you very rarely have access to the computer and c) they might want to install programs etc. on their own?  

I once activated "NoScript" in the browser of a family member who wanted to have a little more internet privacy and security. It was a nightmare...😅

For Windows: I've started recommending Ninite because it contains the programs I would use on a Windows system and downloads all updates for those third-party programs.  I would then rename the installer to "Update me" and then tell them to double-click it once a week to update the programs they selected to install.  I would also tell them to close all programs before they go to bed and let Windows update automatically.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gnugro said:

For Windows: I've started recommending Ninite because it contains the programs I would use on a Windows system and downloads all updates for those third-party programs.  I would then rename the installer to "Update me" and then tell them to double-click it once a week to update the programs they selected to install.  I would also tell them to close all programs before they go to bed and let Windows update automatically.

I never thought about the option to let a program handle the updating, even I partly use programs like Ninite myself...😆😅

• Like 1

There is really no good way to do this. Any reason why you can't sign up for a free ScreenConnect account and manage her computer? Giving her a standard non admin account would be your best bet. If she didn't need to install programs on occasion, I'd install Deepfreeze on it and be done with it.

• Like 1

Running as a standard user is crucial.  Teamviewer is also a must - connect during the 6 o'clock news and make sure everything looks normal

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crankysysadmin said:

There is really no good way to do this. Any reason why you can't sign up for a free ScreenConnect account and manage her computer? Giving her a standard non admin account would be your best bet. If she didn't need to install programs on occasion, I'd install Deepfreeze on it and be done with it.

Another option is to install ZeroTier and enable RDP so you can connect anytime or use VNC over the ZeroTier connection so you can share screens if needed.

• Like 1

I do not have my grandma near me, but majority of my clients are elderly people. I have a few steps I initiate when setting up their machines. Ninite is a great way to start it off as I can install multiple apps at once.

1.  Install Firefox
  2.  Install uBlock Origin as an extension.
  3.  Install plugins such as Java and .NET Runtimes.
  4.  I disable notifications from their browser to prevent fake notifications pop-ups/adware (If it happens).
  5.  Install latest updates, drivers, and BIOS. 
  6.  Educating them about awareness of malware, Microsoft scams, and phishing links.

Life would be easier if they all used Chromebooks, but Windows is their go-to machines. 

• Like 1

I set up a system running Deepin with everything I knew my mom would be using it for: a browser with proper adblocks+privacy configurations and desktop tools I knew she would like to use, like office and calculator. We never had a problem and she never really needed my help for anything else, since Deepin is very intuitive. It's been a while since I did that though, so I'm not sure if I'd still choose Deepin over W10.

I think it always depends on what the "grandma" will use the system for, but for the broad usage like social media and simple tools, I think a slightly safe environment is not that hard to achieve, given a bit of effort and one hour or two of teaching. Writing instructions so they can read later was also something that helped her a lot, since she didn't need to ask me every time she wanted to ask simple stuff she forgot.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, crankysysadmin said:

My question was more of a general nature using the example of the grandmother and less a specific situation in which it is my turn. But I often find myself in the situation where I have to help relatives and acquaintances set up their systems and they want simple but effective security tips from me. And some of them are still at that age or are simply not that close to me that a) I don't want to visit them regularly or b) they would feel that something like ScreenConnect etc. would restrict their privacy/autonomy. That's why I just wanted to collect possibilities for such general situations here. But in the case of grannies, that would certainly be a very elegant solution, and grannies are generally happy to be contacted. 😄

The big thing on a retail Windows system is to do a clean install.  Regardless of who it's for.  The images most OEMs use (even on high-end/business stuff that's supposed to be "bloat free") are just crap and they cause problems.  Lots of typical IT "dumb user" problems are root-caused by "shitty software".

If at all possible, you want to get them running without admin creds on their normal account and only escalating when necessary (realistically, everyone should be doing this).  I've found the key to acceptance on this is to explain why.  "So that even if something bad manages to run without you knowing, it won't have permissions to do anything without asking you"

I've also found it good practice to take a "golden image" once everything's set up and schedule a "create system restore point" task to run weekly (allow more storage too).

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 8:29 PM, Boccraft said:

In that case i often recommend Apple products, because Apple restricts users from doing happy little accidents.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chauke said:

In that case i often recommend Apple products, because Apple restricts users from doing happy little accidents.

But Bob Ross always told me happy little accidents are okay...🥺

15 hours ago, Florian said:

who is happy, your grandma or ransomeware operator?

Since it doesn't seem to have become quite clear that was a joke...I don't think anyone in InfoSec likes accidents and security breaches.  😅

"Happy little accidents" was a phrase often used by the painter Bob Ross to encourage aspiring painters not to give up because of mistakes, but to integrate them as something positive in their work. And since @Chauke has taken up the phrase,...

Just now, Florian said:

@Boccraft i got it but i thought about, how a happy little accident in infosec would look and for whom it would be something good =P

Okay, I wasn't sure if your's was a joke too... ...the curse of written communitcation.  😆

• Haha 1