What Laptop Do You Use?

mazor

My current laptop's life is coming to an end, and I was wondering what type of laptop do y'all use? I have been using a Thinkpad because I really like the keyboard, but System76's Lemur Pro seems like it might be my next purchase.

• Like 1

I don't have one, but I recently got to see one of the Framework laptops up close at a con and was really impressed.

Like, I knew "serviceability" was their schtick, but the owner of the one I saw cracked it open and had the keyboard off, with access to all the boards, in like two minutes standing on the con floor; no little loose parts to lose and everything was still surprisingly rigid, even in that "worst case scenario".

I can't justify one right now, with a perfectly functional laptop, but definitely going to be top of the list when the time does come.

• Like 1

Since you mention System76 I assume you want to use Linux on the desktop? (Well, laptop?)

RE: the Framework, this blog posts makes it sound like there are specific issues on Linux that you should be careful to navigate https://ruscur.au/framework/

I've had good success with an 11th-gen Intel Dell XPS. Good driver support, nice keyboard to type on, but the screen kind of sucks without some colour adjustments which don't come by default on Linux.

Same problem. The keyboard on my scratched T480 is dying and I am looking for a new laptop. Had an M1 Macbook Air for a while. Pretty good HW but don't like MacOS (Linux User - Arch of course 🤣). Newer Lenovos are no longer an option since the quality sucks. The system 76 has the problem with soldered RAM and only 1 available slot for upgrades and a crappy FHD screen. I am running all my virtual labs on my laptop and need at least 32gb RAM and 2TB storage. Don't want a workstation at home with remote access and also tried VMs in the cloud - no option for me. I was looking at a HP Elitebook 840/845 because they come with 2 ram slots and very good repairability. All parts individually available and replaceable. Screen not the best, keyboard ok. If I spec out the Dells for my use case it's cheaper to buy a Macbook that has better screen and keyboard. Another option would be gaming laptops but they are heavy, loud and ugly and don't look professional in meetings with customers. Also don't need dedicated graphics and want to be able to charge with the 65W USB-C. Can't handle laptops bigger than 14/15" and hate numpads.
Any suggestions?

I’ve been using a HP Dragonfly for work since I started (roughly 6 months) and it honestly is a great machine, even if a bit slow opening apps. I also have a Microsoft Surface Go, which is technically more of a tablet, but I do enjoy that a lot. If I had the money, I’d definitely try a newer Surface laptop because I like the design of them overall.

No, I don’t use Linux as a primary OS, but I’ve never felt the need to with Raspberry Pi’s and WSL available.

For work they sent me a dynabook. Sometimes a little short on resources, but that is because the environment we work on requires a lot of stuff running, but the machine itself is nice.

I need to buy a laptop for personal use and I'm thinking of the XPS series, curious to see what is the general feeling towards it as well.

I run a HP envy,
I'm pretty fond of HP, from a repair standpoint their excellent, easy to teardown and parts can be easily sourced 
Honestly, for what I throw at it (some unity, blender and FL studio), its handled it really well (for a laptop.) Has enough ports for my needs, also got a numpad (absolute must in my books). 
However, thermals leave a bit to be desired and it has probably the worst coil whine I have experienced.

Depends what for. I recently picked up a Framework laptop which I've been loving. I have an old beater thinkpad I use for projects, and my daily driver is a desktop. +1 for the Framework though, really like the upgradability and customization options. 

• Like 1

I had a HP dragonfly g2 at work as a secondary laptop, I was so happy with it that I bought the same one for home.
Light weight to travel, works well with linux.

• Like 1

I don't have one for work, i have a desktop.  We are currently solely office based as our owner is paranoid about privacy / security

For home I have macbook air, but looking at a macbook pro as I've really started to get into drawing and digital art.  Do have a surface pro 6 at home but i dont use it, ive grown to hate it and it hates me

For work I’m running a HP Envy, personal use I’m running a MacBook Pro. For work work I like to daily drive Windows and then VM other OS as required.

My current home laptop is a GPD Pocket 3, since I like them very portable 🙂

I don't have a laptop at work currently (using a desktop), but from setting up laptops for clients, I'd go for a HP EliteBook or ZBook Firefly. We have lots of these models (of several generations) in the field, and haven't had any major problems (there was one serie of EliteBook 755 that had trouble with USB ports on one side, but it was all handled by the service quickly). I'd avoid any consumer-grade HP laptop though, since we sold less than 10 of those (Spectre and Envy series), and most of them had trouble (additionally, at least here consumer laptops have different service provider than business ones, and working with them is a total nightmare).

Most of the time, its a MacBook Pro (M1) for my day to day stuff.  I keep a few Intel machines around as well - some have Linux, others Windows to do the odds and ends things or to be a sacrificial system that I'll just wipe when I get home.  I kinda stated it elsewhere, but one of the tricks I've started using is automating as many installs as I can so I can wipe a system and get it back to where it was in an hour or so (depending on how fast it is / how much data needs to transfer).  

I use a MacBook Air (M1) most of the day. I’d like to get a Framework laptop at some point to make it easier to use tools that aren’t M1-compatible, but I have a fair amount of desktop hardware that can fill that niche until I finally decide to buy one.

I have a base model 2020 XPS 13 and I run Linux on it - I like it a lot. Pretty good battery life with default configurations, performs well, great form factor. 

I am now using my third Dell XPS 13 laptop and I think the series is superb. It suits people who want a very small thin form factor. When plugged into a USB-C hub of some kind it can be a real powerhouse.

It may not be cool to have a Dell, but I think they are excellent.

• Like 2

Right now I use an old Asus ROG laptop. So, I don't lack computing power when running Linux. But for when that crusty old thing dies, I will change to a Dell XPS 13 or 15. In my opinon, the XPS series kills it at as benchmark for a good laptop.

Heh. Which one? I have a 2013 MacBook Air running Monterey that consider my main laptop and an HP ProBook G4 that’s loaded out for heavy lifting and runs Alma Linux.

Desktop wise, I have a self built Windows 11 machine with a 3rd gen Ryzen, 32gb of ram and several m.2 SSDs for various things , a fully loaded 2013 Mac Pro, a 2016 Mac mini and a first gen ryzen machine with 32gb of ram I use to run Alma on. 

Server wise, I have a Dell R730 with Dual Xenon’s, 128gb of ram, and 3TB of flash storage I use as an ESXI host, a Supermicro 24 bay 72TB machine running TrueNAS and an old R710 running as a Backup Server.

Network wise, I have a Sophos firewall, 2 HP 1810 48 port switches, 3 8 port switches for each room and 2 Aruba iAPs. 

I really like computers btw lol

Currently using a Flow x16 for big stuff, Macbook from work and miscellaneous thinkpads for other stuff.

Everyday I miss using my X200 more and more and I am considering digging it up & cleaning it + getting a new battery. Nothing like that keyboard has been made since. 

My home office setup is a docked Razer Blade Pro 17 (circa 2019, the RTX 2080 years).  It's maxed out on RAM to handle as many VMs as I need to throw at it.  When I travel or go onsite to our offices, I typically use a Surface Pro 7.  But, recently I've just set up a Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra (the 14.6" version, maxed out specs).  With its DEX mode, and the keyboard cover, it handles most day-to-day business on-the-road tasks just fine, and I just remote back to my home laptop with ConnectWise Control if I need to jump on a lab VM for something.

I've been wanting to grab one of the MacBook Pro M1 Pro's for a while now - that's probably next on my list.