Where does a tablet fit into your workflow?

ZedSec

Has anybody here found a space in their general workflow for a tablet? I've had an iPad for a while but overall I feel like they're moving into this really weird spot where they want to be a sort of half laptop replacement but it doesn't quite hit the mark. It is good for reading comics and eBooks on but I find for note taking it tends to just be easier to chuck all my notes in a Markdown repo and push to Gitbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good for watching Netflix in the bath... or taking your own movies on a long flight.

Otherwise I'm short on ideas.... I've seen people using them with BT keyboard as a SSH terminal, that seems sort of useful... but usually we have a laptop handy?

• Like 2

For "professional" purposes I only used it for a while as a monitor while I took some udemy courses, because at that time I had only 1 monitor until I built the new setup.

Other than that, just home usage (like writing this 😂)

• Like 3

while laptops are nice and all, tablets can come into their own rights depending on circumstances. for instance, tablets can be easily charged quickly and often have a long battery life, so they make a great addition if you are traveling a lot or out in the field a lot where you may want to have something light and slim to carry in your daily bag/shoulder bags with things you want to read up on or reference without having to carry a expensive and possible bulky laptop. they are also great to have when you may want to be able to easily show your client or someone else something where a phone may be too small and laptop too bulky/inconvenient, compared to a laptop, it's easy to have at hand in your bag/shoulder bag at all times.

also, if you need to watch something on the move(such as a streaming such as online conference, etc), it's a lot easier to watch on a tablet then a phone. while you can use a laptop, it's not always with you, easy to use while walking around and not as long battery life as a tablet which you can easily also charge.

there's also many useful apps out there where a bigger screen is just more convenient to use over a phone such as video/sound editing on the move, viewing and working with Excel, etc.

of course, if all you do is sitting at home in fron't of you computer and never/almost never travel, then it may be less useful, although i would still say it is.😸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I usually use it for meetings, to ssh into servers or some "light" soft-skill/creative related work.

Also great to make a quick draft of a diagram/uml thing or to watch the office while working from home 😄

I use my iPad to read docs and take notes (heavy pencil user here), in customer meetings, for presentations and video calls. I am running iPadOS Betas for a while and must say I like the external screen support with stage manager in iPadOS 16.2. It's not perfect yet but docked in I can easily use the iPad as a laptop replacement for office tasks. It will not replace my Linux laptop. Need that to run all my labs etc. but for office stuff and on the go it's perfect for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost exclusively using a Samsung Galaxy Tab s8 ultra (14.6") in DEX mode with the book cover keyboard and a BT mouse when I travel.  It does everything I need to do on the road, with great battery life.  I just ConnectWise Control back into my lab equipment if I need to do anything on a VM.  After work it doubles as a fantastic screen for media watching.

• Like 1

I've got an iPad.  It's really not quite as useful as a laptop and not as portable as a phone.  When space is limited, I find myself leaving it at home.  I've got a logitech case for it that adds a keyboard, but it's just as big as my Macbook Air at that point.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 3:49 AM, nsfrnm said:

I use my iPad to read docs and take notes (heavy pencil user here), in customer meetings, for presentations and video calls. I am running iPadOS Betas for a while and must say I like the external screen support with stage manager in iPadOS 16.2. It's not perfect yet but docked in I can easily use the iPad as a laptop replacement for office tasks. It will not replace my Linux laptop. Need that to run all my labs etc. but for office stuff and on the go it's perfect for me.

What app do you use to take notes with on the iPad?

------

I recently got an iPad and I tried setting up my jobs Teams on it and had it next to my normal work setup but found the notifications weren't updating properly. I chalked it up to microsoft/apple incompatibility weirdness.. So as of now I haven't really incorporated it into my workflow. Perhaps I could use it to take notes and study if I buy one of those keyboard attachments to it....