What features would you like to see?

MalwareTech

We're super open to new ideas and want to make the best possible community for everyone. Thought I'd create a master thread for ideas/suggestions on where to go with the forum and its features.

• Like 1

I think a general news / rss feed would be awesome! I get a lot of my news from twitter currently, and uh, yeah you know what's going on with twitter lol. I think it will be a good way to get people to incorporate the site into their daily routine, if it's their source for news.

• Like 2

I remember forums ended up having chat rooms and stuff, and would really like for this one to not go that route.. and I suggest to keep it as minimal/simple as possible.. we're already fed up from all the social hive mind and attention economy 

nice to haves:

• RSS, this is how I organize and monitor all my internet news and would be helpful for sure
  • enhanced search functionality (not sure whats the current capabilities of invision community)

• Like 6

On 11/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, MalwareTech said:

We're super open to new ideas and want to make the best possible community for everyone. Thought I'd create a master thread for ideas/suggestions on where to go with the forum and its features.

What I suggest:

• A section to report site bugs or issues.
  • Member of the Month; contributes the most to the website.
  • Adding Website Staff on the footer of the page.
  • In profile, section to see all possible badges a user can earn; this gives motivation for users to be more active on the site to earn them!
  • Create a badge for adding 2FA to raise awareness of security.
  • Like 4

Systems forums! Particularly about servers and such! I’d be much more useful there and I’m sure some people have questions. I’d be down to post some how tos or something as well. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hydrogen said:
  • Create a badge for adding 2FA to raise awareness of security.

I really like this badge idea. Possibly also expand badges over time to include holidays as well but this may require having a “panel” of people to ensure inclusivity for all the different holidays or qualify holidays with certain criteria. I guess this would heavily depend on how things mature around here.

6 hours ago, crankysysadmin said:

Systems forums! Particularly about servers and such! I’d be much more useful there and I’m sure some people have questions. I’d be down to post some how tos or something as well. 

Would this suggestion not fall under “Hardware” or is it more of a hardware-software hybrid?

Edited by Screem

I'm not sure if there is the latest responses to posts or not! If there is, that would be great to have. I know vBulletin has such feature, but not sure about this.

45 minutes ago, Screem said:

I really like this badge idea. Possibly also expand badges over time to include holidays as well but this may require having a “panel” of people to ensure inclusivity for all the different holidays or qualify holidays with certain criteria. I guess this would heavily depend on how things mature around here.

Would this suggestion not fall under “Hardware” or is it more of a hardware-software hybrid?

Ditto to this! Possible holiday badges that can *only* be earned by logging into the forum during that day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFIR said:

I'm not sure if there is the latest responses to posts or not! If there is, that would be great to have. I know vBulletin has such feature, but not sure about this.

I guess the closest thing, that I've seen with my limited time here, is the "Discover" page (screenshot of icon below).

UpdatedSec.png

It gives you a bunch of filters as well, but also shows the latest posts by default from newest to oldest.

Edited by Screem
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Screem said:

I guess the closest thing, that I've seen with my limited time here, is the "Discover" page (screenshot of icon below).

UpdatedSec.png

It gives you a bunch of filters as well, but also shows the latest posts by default from newest to oldest.

Thank you for your response, I think this is not bad, and can be useful. 

I guess we need to continue clicking buttons and observing what they do 🙂

9 hours ago, DFIR said:

The activity page or do you mean something else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFIR said:

BTW, where are you seeing those icons, because below is what I see? !!! 🙄

bar.png

it is the mobile layout which will only be enabled if you visit the forum on small screens(like your phone), the forum have been designed to work really well on small screen as well, but it does required some minor UX change, so they look slightly different. "Home" will take you to the same page as that newspaper icon button does on mobile/small screens.

Edited by kazukidevnull
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jubjub said:

The activity page or do you mean something else?

Not really sure, since I'm new to this type of forum. Thank you for pointing to it though.

16 minutes ago, kazukidevnull said:

it is the mobile layout which will only be enabled if you visit the forum on small screens(like your phone), the forum have been designed to work really well on small screen as well, but it does required some minor UX change, so they look slightly different. "Home" will take you to the same page as that newspaper icon button does on mobile/small screens.

Thanks for letting me know, because I did change the theme and a setting or two and did not see that 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippy said:

Can't see it mentioned but a 'last read' jump would be super handy. Used to that on other forum I'm on, where it takes you to the last post you've read.

on pc, click on your name -> Account settings -> Content View Behavior -> Take me to comments I haven't read

image.png.10dd1eb0027ab5b181895759f8abc18c.png

• Like 2

I want some kind of bookmark like a quick save articles/comment, so that I'll be able to read afterward rather than scrolling everytime. Is there any particular feature available, I know that there is follow article.

And one more thing - I can't delete my post that I accidently posted in wrong category