Question Regarding NVM m.2 usage with full SATA usage

kazukidevnull

Working on doing a full system upgrade on thought i had manage to sort everything out, but then i found out that usage of the M.2 slots on the MB would disable one of the SAT ports due to bandwidth limitation, which is annoying as i currently need all the SATA ports which is on the MB(that's kinda the point of having them, to be able to use them), and i figure it may simple due to the MB i picked is a cheap one (MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk).

so i was wondering if there's a MB out there that allow for m.2 usage while also allows for full usages of all the SATA ports or is that something that either don't exist or so incredible expensive that most people can't effort it?

I'm not super up on the Intel boards, but cross-checking info I had for AMD the answer should be yes*, there should be a board that can run full SATA and the M.2 slots without having some SATA ports disabled. As an example my AMD board can run 2x PCIe 4 without losing any SATA connections, it only loses two SATA if I were to run a third. I was able to find a bunch of others that support 2x M.2 with full SATA.

The catch is you might not find that info when reading the specs while shopping (mine didn't show the limitation on its Newegg listing). You might have to look into the full tech specs from the vendor, maybe even the manuals (?), to find that info listed.

*Unless Intel is just worse at this particular spec than AMD, but I haven't researched Intel in a long long while.

5 hours ago, 0xRokkr said:

I'm not super up on the Intel boards, but cross-checking info I had for AMD the answer should be yes*, there should be a board that can run full SATA and the M.2 slots without having some SATA ports disabled. As an example my AMD board can run 2x PCIe 4 without losing any SATA connections, it only loses two SATA if I were to run a third. I was able to find a bunch of others that support 2x M.2 with full SATA.

The catch is you might not find that info when reading the specs while shopping (mine didn't show the limitation on its Newegg listing). You might have to look into the full tech specs from the vendor, maybe even the manuals (?), to find that info listed.

*Unless Intel is just worse at this particular spec than AMD, but I haven't researched Intel in a long long while.

thx for the info, after looking a little more i decided to go for the "MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO" which should work based on reviews i have seen and with pcpartpicker confirming there's no issues compared to the tomahawk one, even if it's slightly more expensive😸

• Like 1