Cyber Book Club

ZedSec

Does anybody want to do some sort of a cyber book club where away pick a book related to cyber-security. Then we all read it and have a thread or something discussing the book?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ZedSec said:

Does anybody want to do some sort of a cyber book club where away pick a book related to cyber-security. Then we all read it and have a thread or something discussing the book?

First, I do want to express my interest in this type of book club so that's a YES for me.

I just have to wait until the semester is over and I have my life back from the claws of academia.

• Haha 1

Yeah I think with most of us having day jobs we would make it a longer timeframe for reading it. Definitely a good idea to use the clubs function for sure!

• Like 2

I’m in! Are we looking for more fiction or non-fiction? I assume fiction since I’m not sure anyone wants to read Windows System Internals Part 1 for a book club! 😂

Sure I'd like to do a book club. Does the cyber mean strictly cyber-related books ? I'd actually prefer non-fiction, I mean I don't read cyber themed fiction books that much, reminds me of work. Agree, that timeframe would have to be generous. As far as technical books go, let's be honest here, most of us are going to skim the book for the interesting parts anyway. 😄

I'd start with Confessions of an Illuminati Vol. 6.66: The Age of Cyber Satan, Artificial Intelligence, and Robotics. (Joking, please don't read or fortune forbid buy that book. The author is a raging lunatic and a genuine horrid person. Decent DJ though).

My other suggestion would be Kim Zetter Countdown to Zero Day.

I'm open to the books, when I said cyber-related books I was thinking more like non-fiction books that dive deep into cyber-related events. Like "Sandworm", or "Countdown to Zero Day". But that's just because that's where I tend to lean when looking for books to read. Happy to read fiction books too if that's the preference.

• Like 1

All of the suggestions above sound good to me for a first book 🙂 I like the not-technical-but-also-non-fiction style of Sandworm and This Is How They Tell Me The World Ends. I don't mind fiction either. And I assume that, if one is not interested in reading a particular book, they can opt out of that round 🙂

Unless you don't want the burden @ZedSec I'm happy to look to you to make the decision and set the timeframe. 

Edited by CosmicGravy