Most power (consumption) efficient CPU under $100

Grip

Hi all, 

I’m doing some research for quite a bit to select the right hw for a truenas without having to buy proprietary hw(syno, qnas, terramaster and the like). Now my biggest concern (I live in Italy) is the electric bill of an appliance powered on 24/7 and that’s what kept me from recycling an old intel e8400 (maybe I was wrong); I fancy to buy something not too new but still capable to go in deep sleep state (C8?!) when not in use. 
could you give me some advice given the restricted budget available (100$ is for the cpu only obviously), but powerful enough to run truenas without makin me feel sick?

every help will be appreciated!

grazie!

I've found the best cost/power ratio for me has been intel's haswell generation. There are some good xeons in that range with plenty of cores. Its also ddr3, which imo is plenty performant for a home nas, and you can usually get ddr3 for 1-2USD per gig

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Grip said:

Thank you Florian, did u ever tried the powermon utility to check if it ever goes in C3 or more?

till now, not. can you recommend a tool to do this on windows? (i am just running some vm's on it )

56 minutes ago, Florian said:

till now, not. can you recommend a tool to do this on windows? (i am just running some vm's on it )

I’m sorry but at the moment nothing with the same functions come to my mind, maybe you could just  spin up a live distro and use the tool from that.

errata: the name of the Linux utility is powertop (not powermon) and seems there’s a Windows utility that could be useful https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Edited by Grip

if nothing runs it look like this

image.png.3e40a3d20be2c5c8b299547cdc0dcae0.png

If i spin up an additional vm it looks more like this:

image.png.f5e368e18b44b0b34b9a839e582cdaee.png

after some time / or when i stop the vm again to go back to the upper situation.

• Thanks 1

It’s seems pretty good to me, given that some background task surely will make the cpu work for “nothing”.
12,7W it’s just the consumption of the CPU though and there’s other components like HDD/SDD and the motherboard that will drain a fair amount of power to be accounted for. 
All in all I think it could be just fine for me, let me check the prices for this.

thank you again Florian!

No problem.

Price should be very good. Only thing is, the socket will let you not to upgrade into the universe. 

Bur if you don't want to run somewhen on 8C/16T this should be fine. It has enough power for easy and quite homeserver / incl. Plex or so but not for big force

If you want a new CPU you should get a relativ new I3 Processor. It is not that powerful like the the XEON mentioned above but way better when it comes to energy consumption.
Otherwise i would probably look for Epic or Xenon processors on eBay. They are often quite cheap because big tech company cant use them that long.

• Thanks 1

I’ve checked the prices in my region for an E3 cpu but it’s way too expensive for my budget cap.

but I’ve followed your suggestions about the haswell series and I found a pretty cheap i5-4460T which seems fit; it has a lot of power saving features and enough processing power for my needs. 
Now I just have to find a psu that works well at 90w peak and I’m good to go (picoPSU aren’t worth the money IMHO)

Thank you again for your support and advices, it helped a lot.

I’ll keep you updated!

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

maybe you don’t really care but I have to  keep my words and update you as promised.

I’ve ended up with this config:

- asus h97m-e

- 16GB DDR3 non-ecc 🫣 (2 x 8GB)

- Intel core i5-4460s (I aimed at a 4460t but the auction went band)

- 2 x sea gate barracuda 4tb hdd

- PCIe nvme m.2 256gb

- 400w silverstone sst-st40f psu

I’ve installed truenas which doesn’t have a port for powertop but for the moment I can read with powermon 4w from the cpu in lower loads and it seems pretty good for me.

I’m willing to find a tool to have a more thorough value of the entire system consumption from the FreeBSD CLI .

thank you all for your advices, they’re really appreciated!

regards

• Like 1