Medibank Hacked, Patient Data Stolen and Leaked

MalwareTech

Hackers managed to breach Australia's largest health insurance provider and tried to ransom them for $9.7m. The company didn't pay the ransom and currently records are being released on the dark web. 

https://theconversation.com/medibank-hackers-are-now-releasing-stolen-data-on-the-dark-web-if-youre-affected-heres-what-you-need-to-know-194340

• Like 3

Makes me think about this recent (and extremely hilarious) article written by Red Cross. 
https://www.icrc.org/en/document/icrc-digital-emblems-report
TL;DR
Red Cross people have distinct uniforms and imagery when aiding people in combat zones, signaling that they are not to be targeted. They think this should work similarly for cyber attacks. Using certain naming conventions and whatnot on the IT infrastructure for things like hospitals. 
--

I say this article is hilarious because its so out of touch with the reality of cybercrime. They just won't care and will do it anyways. Not many of these cybercrime groups operate with a moral compass, its just for monetary gain. Extremely naïve to think that this type of system would even come close to working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChickenKing said:

I say this article is hilarious because its so out of touch with the reality of cybercrime. They just won't care and will do it anyways. Not many of these cybercrime groups operate with a moral compass, its just for monetary gain. Extremely naïve to think that this type of system would even come close to working. 

I think this is probably targeted at officially government-sponsored operations. Which while certainly also amoral, are sometimes occasionally bound by laws.

• Like 1