Security-Adjacent Scripting Project Ideas For Comparing Languages

Mastiction

The debate between Python, Rust, and Golang has been a hot topic and I thought it would be fun to put together a list of script ideas to write out in each language as an exercise. Just fun or interesting 'one trick pony' scripts or projects that may have some security usefulness and/or a challenge. My current job requires little programming at all so I'm a little rusty...

I've listed a couple ideas below off the top of my head: 

• Web Directory Enumerator: Takes a target and wordlist as input, uses HTTP(S) to scan the target for existing directories
  • Unnecessarily Complex Encryption Script: Take an input string and implement an overly-complex custom encryption algorithm that is reversible. 
  • Steganography Script: Take 2 image inputs and yeet one into the other somehow. Must be recoverable.
  • Host Enumeration Script: Simply runs and returns security relevant details of the host machine and it's configuration
Edited by Mastiction
  • Like 2

Fun idea I had a while back was to take a series of inputs and make a password list with them. For example if your inputs are "john" "smith" "01011950" (birthday) it could spit out some passwords like johnsmith123, johnsmith1950, jsmith1150, things like that. here is an awesome program I've used before that does pretty much this: https://github.com/LandGrey/pydictor

• Like 1

More Ideas:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chauke said:

Better Find: Recursive file search on all drives (extendable with file indexing, deep crawling or sort algorithms)

Funny you should bring that up; I know someone who's been playing around a bit with that as a way to fuck around in rust with recursion schemes and an expression language. Her repo can be found here - https://github.com/inanna-malick/detect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1